Monday 7 May 2007

Where to bat Fred

In my opinion that is what the selection of the next England test squad boils down to.

Obvious picks:

1) A. Cook
2) A. Strauss
3) I. Bell
4) K. Pietersen
5) P. Collingwood
6)
7)
8)
9) Harmison
10) Hoggard
11) Panesar

I say obvious but it is consistency of selection which means I include Collingwood over the slighty younger and perhaps more talented and in-form Owais Shah.

I want to pick Matt Prior over Nixon, because Prior is more likely to be the long term option and is more of a batsman by pedigree than Nixon, but I would like to pick Nixon for the 20-20 World cup side (and maybe for the next ODI squad - as he is someone with the nous which is lacking in the present set-up).

Panesar hasn't shown any wicket taking potential of late but is ahead of the rest of the field, so gets a series to reconfirm his international credentials.

I am of course assuming Vaughan won't make it. It's really not fair on Strauss (I assume he is next in line to skipper England), to just step in on Thursday morning if Vaughan can't make it, when he is pushing all stops to even dream of being fit for the 1st match in the series.

Which takes me to the crux of this post:

Andrew Flintoff to bat at 7 (bringing in Shah in the absence of Vaughan) - allowing England to bat down to 8?

or play Flintoff at 6, and stick to the Ashes 2005 winning formula of 5 bowlers (not to mention formula that won England 10 wins in 11 matches. ) When Vaughan plays, this would solve who of Cook, Bell & Collingwood to leave out (I say Collingwood).

I'm going to say bat Flintoff at 6 against the West Indies. Play Andersen in the side. This leaves open the expected slot for Simon Jones (unless of course Anderson excells). Otherwise will England be expected to restructure the batsman-bowler ratio to re-accomodate him? Better to stick to a format where players know what role they play in the side (as batsmen).

So my suggestion:

6) Flintoff
7) Prior
8) Anderson (of course not batting at 8)


Squad members: Dalrymple & Plunkett


No comments: